Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 17:55:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp (Masahiro SEKIGUCHI)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: mcast and sd

> >MOZART
> >opens sd
> >opens a new session
> >
> >BLUES (runs mrouted connected to MBONE)
> >opens sd (mozarts' session does not show up)
> >opens a new session
> >MOZART immediately after that sees the session on blues
>
> If this is the exact order you did, there is nothing strange at all.
>
> Try creating another session on MOZART when sd is running on BLUES.
> It will immediately shown on sd on BLUES.

In fact, it does not appear on BLUES. I don't see any session at all
on BLUES (the machine running mrouted to the MBONE).
I just got an interesting hint from Mark Tinguely and I'm trying to track
it.

> Or, if you just wait 5 minutes or more, the "missing" session will be
> shown on BLUES.

It did not show in half an hour.

> It is a normal behaviour of sd.
>
> If an sd creates a new session, it sends packets to notify a session
> is alive.  The packet is sent either (1) immediately after the session
> is created, or (2) every 5 minutes.  So, when you start sd, you have to
> wait max. 5 minutes before the sd shows all pre-existing sessions.
>
> It may be hard to recognize this behaviour, since sd plays a trick
> with the file ~/.sd_cache to reduce the delay.
>
> Please verify the above scenario.  I believe presence of mrouted is
> irrelevant.

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.0-BUILT-19950531 FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-1995
0531 #0: Wed May 31 06:16:35 MET DST 1995     root@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.d
e:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386