Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 12:30:46 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        shancecgol S Yorgen <shancecgol@edsamail.com.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing kernel src...

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 09:20:22AM +0800, shancecgol S Yorgen wrote:

> This is my forst time using a freeBSD, bt ive been using linux for
> 3years now. I want to recompile my freeBSD kernel and went to the
> /usr/src and did not find "sys" directory in it, so i assumed that
> the kernel src package is not installed. I read somewhere that to
> install the kernel src i should run /stand/sysinstall i did that
> howerver i do not know what to do next.
>
> I'm not really sure what is the package name of the kernel src and
> where is it located in the FreeBSD CD.
> BTW, Im using FreeBSD 4.3. Please someone please guide me on what to
> do, Im an absolute newbie to FreeBSD.

Here's how it works for me with FreeBSD 4.4 RELEASE.

After running /stand/sysinstall as root, go down to
 Configure    Do post-install configuration of FreeBSD
and press the SPACEBAR to get the next screen.
(Note that you should use the SPACEBAR to select in these
menus. Accidental use of the enter key can give unexpected
navigation results.)

Go down to
 Distributions    Install additional distribution sets
and press the SPACEBAR.

Now go down to
 [ ]  src       Sources for everything
and hit SPACEBAR on it.

In the next screen, use the SPACEBAR to select
 [ ]  sys      /usr/src/sys (FreeBSD kernel)
then press TAB to highlight "OK", and press ENTER.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-