Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:32:27 +0200
From:      Barry Irwin <bvi@itouchlabs.com>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        "Robert D. Hughes" <rob@robhughes.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NATD, or another one I haven't seen before

On Tue 2002-01-22 (15:14), Tom wrote:

>   Lots of unused IPs is a denial of service vunerability.  Port scanning them
> will generate a lot of ARP activity, and force your gateway to buffer a lot of
> traffic.  Unused networks should be removed off of router interfaces, and
> replaced with Null (blackhole) routes

Fully agreed, however some ISP's are rather slack and one ends up having an
arp-storm on the outside interface of your firewall :<  Not much I can
really think of to combat such a storm.

In theory I suppose one could have a static arp entry to your defaultroute,
and then configure the interface not to arp, although I'm not sure if this
will prevent any handling of other systems arp traffic received on the
interface.

Barry

--
Barry Irwin		bvi@itouchlabs.com			+27214875150
Systems Administrator: Networks And Security