Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:32:17 -0400
From:      "Mike." <the.lists@mgm51.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-update?

On 4/24/2013 at 5:07 PM Mike Brown wrote:

|Da Rock wrote:
|> sysctl kern.version
|
|For me, that's the same info as in uname -a.
|
|Try this:
|
|grep -v # /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh | head -4
 =============

If uname -r [-a] does not give the proper version of the OS, then it is
either a bug, or the documentation for uname should be changed.
Currently, the man page for uname gives the following option:

-r      Write the current release level of the operating system to
stan-
	     dard output.

If you need to do

 grep -v # /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh | head -4

in order to write the correct and current release level of the
operating system to standard output, then perhaps uname should be fixed
to accommodate freebsd update's partial update process of the OS.