Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:07:59 +0100
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        Matt Juszczak <matt@atopia.net>
Cc:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD -STABLE servers repeatedly crashing.

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 10:49 -0400, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:01:09AM -0400, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> >M> About three weeks ago, I upgraded my 5.3-RELEASE boxes to 5.4-RELEASE.
> >M> I also turned on procmail globally on our mail server.  Here is our
> >M> current FreeBSD server setup:
> >M>
> >M> URANUS  -  primary ldap
> >M> CALIBAN -  secondary ldap
> >M> ORION     -  primary mail
> >M>
> >M> Orion was the first one to crash, about three weeks ago.  Orion is
> >M> constantly talking to uranus, because uranus is our primary ldap server
> >M> (we have a planet scheme), and caliban is our secondary ldap server.  I
> >M> ran an email flood test on orion to see if I could crash it again.  This
> >M> time, the high requests on Uranus caused Uranus to crash. With two
> >M> different servers on two different hardware setups crashing, I had to
> >M> start thinking of what could be causing the problem.
> >M>
> >M> http://paste.atopia.net/126
> >
> >Can you please build kernel with debugging and obtain a crashdump?
>
> Ever since I setup the debug kernel the machine is now crashing every 12
> hours.  I think I have to switch to OpenBSD or 4.11 FreeBSD because this
> box can't keep crashing.  It  refuses to do a crash dump.

OK, when it crashes next and is sat at the "db>" prompt, type "tr" and
press enter to get a trace.  Copy this down (or have a serial console to
capture the output).  Also, try typing "call doadump()" and see if that
succeeds in generating a crash dump.  How were you trying to generate
one before?

Gavin