Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:28:45 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        sue@welearn.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: desktop stupidity

Thanks for the reminders Sue.

I agree that most people who are interested in FreeBSD *do*
want to learn or they wouldn't be here knocking.  You're
probably right assuming that they have, for the most part,
a more inquisitive nature than the 'average citizen'.

I feel very strongly that it is important to help a brand new
beginner feel comfortable with discovery through exploration.

To do this, I also feel it is necessary to teach them the basics
of how to save, change, and then restore things.  This lends
confidence and usually enhances their progress.

For these reasons my approach to teaching Unix has most often
been the traditional one, discussing Unix history and developing
proficiency in areas that are important to Unix. (I've taught
regular expressions to a second grader successfully).

I do feel it is important to learn how to handle the shell,
mostly for navigation at first, and how to use some editor -
even 'ed' if there is nothing else available.  Otherwise,
it is extremely difficult to communicate answers to problems
that inevitably will crop up.

These skills are *not* beyond the grasp of most people, even
very young ones, if the interest is there.  They are valuable
skills too, despite what M$ or others are saying.

It's nothing that happens overnight, but I can count several
hundreds of successes after almost eighteen years of involvement
with Unix.  Quite a few have gone on to very successful careers
using these skills we developed together.  Not all of them
are programmers either.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net