Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:49:38 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device permissions problems after 4.5 >> 4.6 upgrade

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:21:38PM -0700, Kevin Stevens wrote:
> I upgraded my 4.5 system to 4.6 last week by DLing the floppy images,
> booting from them, and doing an FTP upgrade.  All seemed ok, however, I'm
> now discovering problems with access permissions, particularly in the /dev
> directory.  For example, /dev/null  and /dev/urandom were owned by
> root:wheel, with crw------ permissions, which buggered up ssh and a variety
> of other things.

That's not a good thing...

Try 'MAKEDEV std' in /dev, they will remake the standard devices.
Or 'MAKEDEV all', which will make all of them.

If I recall correctly the daily scripts will catch it if the
permissions on a device change, maybe you can find if it really was
the upgrade or some port which tried to be funny.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |           Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |        Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: