Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:01:59 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        "Peter C. Verhage" <petercv@zeelandnet.nl>
Cc:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Input/output Error

"Peter C. Verhage" wrote:

> "Fortunately" it looks like a harddisk problem. When I got home today (I
> wasn't at home the past few days but I monitored the box from another place,
> and called home if someone wanted to reboot the computer :P), I quickly
> checked everything and rebooted (again) and when I wanted to login I heared
> a loud clicking noise and after that it looked like the harddisk got in
> suspend mode and back in normal mode again (very weird) but FreeBSD reported
> also (in the main window) an issue with "ata....". After booting the system
> (which it magically still did, and until now it's still running > 30
> minutes) I quickly checked dmesg and saw the following report:
>
> ad0: 9787MB <QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10> [19885/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
>
> So it looks to me it really is something with the harddisk. Or isn't it?

You might want to make sure your cables are firmly attached to the HD
and
the Motherboard, and that the HD isn't getting too hot.

I used to have that happen with my old WD drives.  They wern't getting
enough
air and experienced little mini thermal shutdowns intermittantly.
Rearranging
the drives (and flashing their firmware) fixed the problem.

Still, a loud clicking noise from a HD is generally a bad sign.  I'd
recommend
backing that drive up ASAP and perhaps star looking into buying a
replacement.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer