Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 19:41:46 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, FreeBSD-STABLE <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD SMP in 3.4-stable

At 3:19 PM -0500 3/10/00, Matt Heckaman wrote:
>I have a production server which at this time is a single PII 400. I wish
>to put in this machine a pair of PII 400 [...]
>
>My questions is, how tested and stable is the SMP in FreeBSD 3.4-stable?
>As this is a production machine, I cannot afford to have problems with it.
>For those of you with experience running SMP under 3.4-stable, I would
>appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

You might want to give some details of exactly what you are serving.
Perhaps there might be a problem with that particular service under
an SMP system, for instance.

In my case I'm running a constantly-used, moderately busy chat server
on a dual-CPU pentium pro.  The machine also has anon ftp, and a web
server going.  I also kind of use it as a "cvs server", in that I have
a cvs repository there which I access from a number of other machines
using ssh (so, it's not really an "cvs server"...).  I run some other
numerical-computation things on it, just to soak up idle cycles (ie,
they are running all the time, nice-ed, just to use up the cycles).
So far the machine has been up for 237 days, and that reboot was when
I installed 3.2-release.  Prior to that the system had been up over
300 days, running a lucky snapshot of "3.0-beta" (before it was made
current, after SMP support but before the switch to ELF).

My guess is that 3.4 would be better than 3.2, and I've been quite
happy with 3.2 for my purposes.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute