Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:04:52 -0700
From:      Gunnar H Reichert-Weygold <postmaster@paganlibrary.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why use tape for backups? (was: backup method reccommendation?)

Tape is very reliable, so long as you treat with proper care. No audiophi=
le
would consider allowing the heads in their stereo get dusty and dirty. Sa=
me
heads essentially, same care needed.

Proper storage of the media is the next headache.

NASA recently ran into a little problem. They couldn't find a drive to re=
ad the
data from of their tapes. The tapes were created by the Apollo program. S=
eems
the tapes outlasted the dtive technology.

You can also ask the Social Security Administration what the majority of =
their
data is on. The SSA is an exception, though. Their tapes are buried in a =
salt
mine.

Imation/3M still pulls a tape out of the vault every year to check it's
integrity. It's a DC6000 that was done in the early seventies.

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 October 1999 at 19:21:12 -0700, patl@phoenix.volant.org w=
rote:

> >> Well, that can happen with tapes, too.
> >
> > Yes, if you are foolish enough to reuse a single backup tape instead
> > of at least switching back and forth between two.  (Or, better yet,
> > having a real backup cycle among multiple tapes.)
>=20
> The same argumentation applies to disks.
>=20
> >>
> >> This used to be the correct answer.  I'm no longer sure it is.
> >> Certainly I think that the current generation of tape units is *much=
*
> >> less reliable than hard disk.  The media are cheaper, but when I
> >> consider the number of DDS drives I wore out doing regular daily
> >> backups, I think that backing up to disk might have been cheaper.
> >
> > Maybe DDS wasn't the right choice.  I've been using Exabyte 8mm
> > backups for years, both personally and at various companies; and
> > I've had more problems with disk drives going bad than I have with
> > tape drives.
>=20
> I've used Exabyte and DDS.  I've had many problems with each.
>=20
> Greg
> --
> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
>=20
>=20
--=20
Paradigms - you know what they say, "shift happens."