Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:21:24 +0100
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/hosts.deniedssh

David Southwell wrote:
> Examples from hosts.deniedssh
> I seem to be on the receiving end of a concerted series of unsuccessful break
> in attacks on one of our systems. One small part of the attack has  resulted
> in over 2000 entries in our hosts.deniedssh file in less than 1 hour.
>
> I would be interested in any comments on the small example shown below and any
> advice.

1. see thread from last week "denying spam hosts ssh access"
2. don't resolve ips
3. do a sort, you'll see that many come from the same network, possibly
the same node with a new IP, block entire ranges, blocking individual
ip's is futile.
4. consider blocking in your firewall
5. don't worry, unsuccesfull attacks are - well, unsuccesfull

BR, Erik

--
Erik Nørgaard
Ph: +34.666334818/+34.915211157                  http://www.locolomo.org