Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 1997 12:56:15 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Leonard Chung <leonardc9@usa.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 240->120 voltage converters safe?

Leonard Chung wrote:

> I realize that this is a bit off topic here, but I'm not too sure exactly
> where to send this question and this list seems to have a higher "guru
> factor" than any other lists that I'm aware of.  With that said...
>
> I'm taking a laptop over to China along with a scanner and a zip drive.
> The AC Adapters that came with both of them only operate at 120 volts
> although I can buy an international AC adapter from each company for around
> $50.  For that price, I can get a pretty heavy duty 200 volt step down
> converter from Radio Shack that is supposed to be acceptable for electronic
> equipment.  Is it ok for me to get the voltage converter, plug a good surge
> protector into it and then plug the scanner and zip drive into the surge
> protector, or should I shell out the $100+ for the international adapters?
>
> Leonard
>
> --
> Leonard Chung <Leonardc9@usa.net>
> Support the Blue Ribbon Campaign for free speech online        ()
> http://www.eff.org/blueribbon.html                             /\
> "Those who will not reason perish in the act.
> Those who will not act, perish for that reason." - W. H. Auden

I don't know about specific moedls, but here we often use converters to
test equipment that is to be exported to the U.S. It works just fine.
Never used a surge protector either, but I don't know how stable
electricity is in China.
However, note that these converters - especially if you need a lot of
power are *heavy*, so for travel it may be wiser to go for the
international adapters.

Disclaimer: I only talk from *my* personal experience. No gurantee that
your equipment won't fry...

Nadav