Date:      Fri, 4 May 2018 11:33:39 -0700
From:      Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: email service for a private domain!

I assume that you have someone hosting your DNS zone. That's the
easiest alternative. I wouldn't dive into hosting your own DNS.

You will need, at a mimimum, the following:

You will need a static address for your host from your ISP (or if you
are colocating your server, from them), and you will also require a
PTR record for your host, entered into the zone of whoever grants you
the static address.

Your DNS zone will need to list the A (and/or AAAA) record for your
host, and an MX record.

You will also want an SPF record in your zone, and should explore the
idea of implementing DMARC/DKIM.

After that is configured, you'll need to configure the software for
your mail server. I suggest using postfix, in conjunction with a good
IMAP server. There are several.

I'd also recommend that you subscribe to the postfix email list, and
start asking questions there - after you've read the documentation.

There are alternatives to postfix (I've used and loathed sendmail, a
very long time ago), but postfix is the one that seemed best developed
to me, and I was most comfortable with it. YMMV.

I'd also suggest setting up an anti-spam filter. For my $dayjob
several years ago, I put up MAIA Mailguard, and it worked very well.
It packages spamassassin and several other things into a very nice
filter, but it might be overkill if you are only doing mail for
yourself.

I no longer use postfix/spamassassin or other OSS tools for email, so
can't comment much further - $dayjob has implemented commercial
alternatives for all of that.

HTH,

Kurt