Date:      Tue, 01 Dec 2009 10:43:01 +0800
From:      Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
To:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 8.0 & MYSQL50 denying access to user root no password

Tim Judd wrote:
> On 11/29/09, Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>> For many releases of Freebsd going back to 4.3 I have all ways used the
>> default mysql user root localhost with no password which has been the
>> default.
>> With 8.0/mysql-server-5.0.86 I am denied access now.
>> The mysql manual still says the normal install defaults to allowing
>> access to user root with no password are in effect.
>>
>> After a fresh clean install of mysql
>> Tried  mysqladmin -u root drop test   to delete the test db.
>> Received this msg
>> connect to srver at localhost failed
>> access denied for user 'root@localost (using password: no)
>> This in not suppose to happen.
>

> Two issues, mysqladmin tries to connect to the mysql server -- i see
> in your message above it can't connect
> if it can't connect, how can it authorize?

Read the post again. says access denied not connection refused.

> second, the undocumented mysql_install_db must be run to install the
> default database.  But if you run this as root, you should change
> ownership of everything in /var/db/mysql to allow the mysql server
> access to the files.

mysql_install_db is documented in the mysql manual. After re-reading the
section about using mysql_install_db many times I finally saw my
problem. mysql_install_db has to be run direct from the root command
line. I was doing "script capture.console.msg.rpt and them running
another script which had the mysql_install_db command buried in it. The
mysql manual says mysql_install_db will hose up the user account table
locking out all access. I rm -rf /var/db/mysql to delete the hosed up
mysql user db and then ran mysql_install_db from the root command line
and the default root/nopassword worked again.

Thanks for your pointer as to where to look.