Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:56:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Jangowski <bsd@birdland.rhein-neckar.de>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slooow expires (inn 1.5.1 and 1.7.2.insync1.1d)

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, John Hay wrote:

> I think you just went over some limit and now the database isn't
> handled in RAM anymore but on disk. It might be not enough RAM
> or the limits in login.conf might be too low or something like
> that. Try running /usr/bin/limits out of cron the same way your
> expiry is done and have a look at its output.

I tried this with _lots_ of free memory. After rebuilding the .pag and
.dir files it used virtual memory. Something in the .dir file was the
culprit, I think. I was happy to have our newsserver up and running again,
so I didn't investigate.

The same thing happened twice, and got resolved the same way, I'm fairly
sure that something in the dbz-files was corrupted.

Martin

| Martin Jangowski              E-Mail: maja@birdland.rhein-neckar.de |
| Voice: +49 621/53 95 06                       Fax: +49 621/53 95 07 |
| Snail Mail: Koenigsbacher Str. 16      D-67067 Ludwigshafen Germany |
| RNInet e.V.                                   Rhein-Neckar Internet |