Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:40:57 -0400
From:      Dest <dest@syd.eastlink.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Odd Console/X behaviour

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could perhaps shed some light on the
following bug. When my system is under high load and I go to
switch to vtty from X, the system locks for a second. This is what's
to be expected for a system under a high load. However, when the
load disappears it always takes a second or so to switch vttys. Also,
the keyboard lights disappear, no scroll-lock, numlock, or capslock
light. Also strange is that it only happens when switching out of X.
It doesn't matter what version, I've had this happen under 3.3.6 and
4.0.0-4.0.2. getty isn't swapped out, and it only happens once I get
a day or so of uptime. It can't be fixed by dropping to single user,
and going multi-user again, it requires a reboot to be fixed. I hope
you can help, this has been happening since I installed 4.0-RELEASE,
which was some time ago.

uname -a says:
FreeBSD process.dhs.org 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0:
Tue Jan  2 23:06:54 AST 2001  root@process.dhs.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/DEST
i386

I cvsupped/made world the day before the kernel was built. Hope
you can help.

Craig Hawco