Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 15:42:13 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just one more thing and I'll shut up about this...

On Sat, Apr 11, 1998 at 07:51:47AM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> But anyone looking for a reasonable "marketing template" need, IMHO,
> look no further than http://www.redhat.com.  What they have as their
> home page is actually what I would consider an excellent format for an
> http://www.freebsd.org/news.html sort of page.  If anyone would like
> to massage our existing Newsflash information into something
> resembling this example and put it up for viewing, I'd be quite keen
> to see it!

[moved to -chat in a hopeless attempt to get this jabber off -hackers]

Okay. I'm going to try it. I just talked to a top notch designer friend
of mine, and I'm going to trade hours with him to get his company to create
a marketing front end for FreeBSD (this means that I'll have to do some
really painful sysadmin stuff for him.. arghh.. a worthy sacrifice though).

This guy is awesome, so hopefully we'll get something really slick out of
it. I'll keep ya posted as to how it turns out. These guys are really
fun to work with, but normally charge insane amounts (figures that make
me wonder why I'm not into advertising..).

I was able to sucker him into it by phrasing the question as "Hey, wanna
design a major marketing campaign for me, and market the fuck out of an
unknown free product??"  What artsy graphic designer could resist that?  ;-)
(sorry for the language, but that's a quote.. ;)

I'm hoping they'll set me up with a whole bunch
of "boilerplate" press release templates that we can use to generate
appropriate PRs for things like major projects, new releases, cooperation
with others, etc, etc.. At any rate, it will give me a chance to see how
a first class advertising house does things, which should be good
experience for selling FreeBSD to the masses.

One other thing: where can I get full sized version of the cute chuck
daemon we use? Getting the originals would help tremendously..

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code