Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2007 21:25:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Lyle Scott III <portcitycs@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE Compact Flash Adapter

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007, Lyle Scott III wrote:

> http://www.acscontrol.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACS&Product_Code=ACS-CF-IDEToCFA
>
> i need something like that so i can remove the card easily.  This is going
> on my desktop that only compiles and installs the systems.  The flash card
> is for an embedded system.. i just wonder about FreeBSD support for this..
> .what do you think?

It really shouldn't need any FreeBSD support.  CompactFlash is pretty
much IDE, so the adapter should appear as an IDE hard drive.  Just like
a drive, it can't be hot swapped.

The couple I've used have poorly-labelled jumpers for power supply
voltage (3.3 or 5V) and source (IDE cable or floppy power cable) and
something else.  One of these is the drive in a m0n0wall firewall right
now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186002

Next time, I would probably try this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=2105&x=0&y=0

Interestingly, they also have an IDE to SD adapter (which I haven't
tried):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=3865&x=0&y=0