Date:      17 Nov 2001 20:07:29 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to modify a "word" definition

> Look for 'IFS' in bash(1).

I second that opinion, except to point out that there are at least two
kinds of "words" in shells.  "IFS" works for command line "words" as
parsed when interpreted, at least for my shell (ksh), doesn't work for
command line editing commands which involve "words" (like delete last
word).  I see no control for these kind of words.

If you want really good control over mousing things (in or out of X),
use the XEmacs (or similar) shell mode where you can make the mouse
recognize any thing you want and even have it (with ctrl, shift, alt,
extra characters, etc.) grab words, lines, URLs, filenames, or whatever,
and have it run commands (eg "Netscape -remote", "xemacs --read-only")
on the selection.  (Unfortunately, the terminal emulation is not as
good as xterm, so I wind up having to use xterm for running interactive
non-GUI programs.  It has a second terminal emulator which is is good
enough for such programs but I don't use it for reasons I forget.)

Of course, it's also much better than xterm for keybanging of shell
command input and output.  You have all the standard editing features
and more.  Searching of the input+output history (arbitrarily long)
is especially handy.  Another handy command is "delete output of last
shell command" (ctrl-c ctrl-o).  (The special shell-mode commands
all start with ctrl-c, so "ctrl-c ctrl-c" is xterm's "ctrl-c".)