Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 06:40:37 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade woes

I had followed /usr/src/UPDATING on the last try with buildworld.
That's how I commented out openssh from make.conf, among other
things (that helped quite a bit, it too was causing compiler
crashes). The last time it had crashed was with signal 4 somewhere
in compiling rogue. The time before that was signal 10 compiling
yp_xrd.c (no warnings or errors). That's what was strange about it.
It crashed with no warnings. That's what I meant about mid-way, at
least for the compilation process. As for the installation process,
both times I had other things to do so I let it run unattended, and
when I got back to it all I saw was a slew of error messages about
getty and/or sh crashing/coredumping, so I don't know where in the
process that things went haywire, or why. Here what I mean by both
times, is installworld for the first time and /stand/sysinstall for
the second.

So what I'll do now is just burn myself a CD with 4.0 and boot from
it to upgrade. That seems to be, at least for now and for me, the
most trouble free method.

Thanks,

Emmanuel Gravel