Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:01:00 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proof of concept: soundcard as console device

Quoting Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> (from Fri, 31 Aug 2007 =20
09:42:51 +0000):

> Yesterday while I was futzing with my new laptop and ACPI suspend/resume,
> I once again found myself cursing the nutjob who took away our serial
> ports.

Lucky those people with a firewire interface...

> Then my mind wandered around a bit and suddenly it struck me: all
> modern hardware have built in AC97 sound hardware, and it offers a
> channel with a pretty decent bandwidth.

You are too late, Intel is moving to HDA and away of AC97. And it =20
seems everyone except Creative is following (there are companies with =20
their own interfaces (VIA envy24), but often they provide a HDA =20
chipset too). Creative doesn't really matter, as they don't provide =20
docs and everyone tries to avoid it.

> This morning I ran a simple experiment, from userland, but the
> result show clearly that the idea is workable.
>
> The transmission format I used: send a negative transient to start
> a character and after N samples, send a positive transient, where
> N is the ASCII value of the character + a small constant.

Some cards have digital-out/in (SPDIF), maybe it's an option for you.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Never give an inch!