Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 2014 20:42:42 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Everett <tom@khubla.com>
Cc:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: A unified imx6 kernel config, old WANDBOARD-* configs going away

On Sat, 2014-03-01 at 18:01 -0700, Tom Everett wrote:
> I'm looking at the crochet code, and I see in freebsd_install_fdt that both
> *.dtb and *.dts are supported. However on the source tree it's imx6.dtsi.
> What's the difference b/t a dts file and a dtsi file?

A .dtsi file is an include file used by .dts files.  A .dtb is the
binary (compiled) form used by the kernel.

So there are several wandboard-something.dts files, each of which
includes imx6.dtsi where all the common parts live.  For a new imx6
device, a new board-named file similar to one of the wandboard files is
necessary, and it would also include imx6.dtsi.

We're pushing hard towards just using the standard dtb files from
vendors, but we've got a bit of work to do before we're there.

-- Ian