Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:48:17 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Rat@User.ITconsult.co.uk (Roland Blampied)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD-ROM

As Roland Blampied wrote:

> Being a bit of a newbie to all this, I was wondering if it is possible to
> re-create the FreeBSD CD from files freely available for FTP download.
> If it is possible, I just need to know what the Root of the CD will
> contain, and where to get those files.

The official FreeBSD CD-ROM is copyright by Walnut Creek CD-ROM,
naturally, since they're doing the compilation of that medium.

If all you need however is an installation CD-ROM, it's as simple as
getting the files from your closest FreeBSD mirror.  The base
directory of a release should look like:

/usr/release/R/ftp:
ABOUT.TXT     compat1x/     dict/         HARDWARE.TXT  proflibs/
bin/          compat20/     doc/          info/         README.TXT
catpages/     compat21/     floppies/     INSTALL.TXT   RELNOTES.TXT
cdrom.inf     des/          games/        manpages/     src/

Copy all of this to a CD.  Don't forget the cdrom.inf file.  Don't
fetch the des/ directory from a US mirror, you know they'll get
problems if you do this.  Pick one of the international mirrors if you
think you need DES or Kerberos (like ftp.de.freebsd.org, or
ftp.internat.freebsd.org).

It depends on your needs whether you're also going to put ports and/or
packages there.

--
cheers, J"org