Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:51:49 -0800
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm@inbox.lv>
To:        scott@sremick.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mpeg4ip requires IPv6?

On Thursday 06 January 2005 06:40 am, Scott I. Remick wrote:

(ps I resent this message again to the list)
> I should prefix this by saying that I have mpeg4ip working now, but
> I'd still like to address the concerns you raised.
>
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:10:38 -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > I don't have  libc.so.4 on my FreeBSD-5 Stable system, are you
> > running FreeBSD 4 or 5?
>
> FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE
>
> > locate libc.so on my FreeBSD 5.3 returns:
> >
> > /lib/libc.so.5
> > /usr/compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6
> > /usr/lib/libc.so
>
> On mine I get:
>
> /lib/libc.so.5
> /usr/compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6
> /usr/lib/libc.so
> /usr/local/lib/compat/libc.so.4
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/lib/libc.so.5
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib/libc.so
> /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc/libc.so
> /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc/libc.so.5
> /usr/src/lib/compat/compat1x/libc.so.1.1.gz.uu
> /usr/src/lib/compat/compat21/libc.so.2.2.gz.uu
> /usr/src/lib/compat/compat22/libc.so.3.1.bz2.uu
> /usr/src/lib/compat/compat3x.i386/libc.so.3.gz.uu
> /usr/src/lib/compat/compat4x.alpha/libc.so.4.bz2.uu
> /usr/src/lib/compat/compat4x.i386/libc.so.4.bz2.uu

Just a suggestion here, two ways you can go about this
so here is the hard way first:

Rename /usr/src/lib/compat to /usr/src/lib/compat-HOLD or something like
that, then what ever programs are linked against them will fail and
these need to be rebuilt.

The easier but much longer way, download sysutils/portmanager and run
portmanager -u. It will update the out of date dependencies but if you
have been running pkgdb -F from portupgrade then portmanager may miss a
few because pkgdb screws up the ports registration data base. Still,
get as far as you can with portmanager because anything it updates will
be correct.   After your done then rename /usr/src/lib/compat
to /usr/src/lib/compat-HOLD and see if anything doesn't work. Anything
that fails should be pkg_deleted then rebuilt manually.

Once everything works without the /usr/src/lib/compat libraries I'd
recommend deleteing them and in /etc/make.conf comment out the
following:

COMPAT1X=      yes
COMPAT20=      yes
COMPAT21=      yes
COMPAT22=      yes
COMPAT3X=      yes
COMPAT4X=      yes

> > If you are running FreeBSD 5 you probably have dependencies linked
> > to out of date libraries and the dependencies should be upgraded,
> > if your running FreeBSD 4 then never mind.
>
> How can I find everything that's linked to these out-of-date
> libraries so I know which to rebuild?
>
> > look in your /usr/local/include/mp4.h file if you have one and see
> > if "MP4IsIsmaCrypMediaTrac" is in there,
>
> It is:
>
> bool MP4IsIsmaCrypMediaTrack(
>         MP4FileHandle hFile,
>         MP4TrackId trackId);
>
> But I don't think we're concerned about that anymore, since mpeg4ip
> is now working, right? I am not sure what did it, but I tried ripping
> out everything AGAIN and reinstalling and this time it worked.

Right, you got the problem you posted fixed since its working now,
still it will save you many headaches down the road to get every thing
linked to the new c libraries and not the compat ones.

> I'd appreciate advice on how to fix these old library dependencies,
> though, since I don't want anything else screwing up in the future
> (actually I have problems w/ SimGear and openoffice still). Thanks!

I've noticed a few posts recently complaining open office won't build
on 5.3 stable so I'm trying it on my system, the thing has been building
for 24 hours now and still isn't finished! What I'm hoping to be able
to tell you, is after your system is fully up to date with portmanager
that building openoffice will be no problem, one thing I had to do
to get openoffice to at least start compiling was to set up the
following in /etc/make.conf:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/editors/openoffice-1.1}
WITH_TTF_BYTECODE_ENABLED=YES WITHOUT_MOZILLA=yes
.endif

because it fails early on if mozilla isn't disabled. I keep my special
port settings in /etc/make.conf so if I manually install ports or do so
with portmanager or portupgrade I know the correct switches will
always be used.

Hope my advice helps you some, but really I can do much better if I see
specific instances of a failure like the one you posted to the mail
list, everything I said above, you may have a special circumstance that
makes what I said wrong.

-Mike