Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:28:48 -0500
From:      "Haulmark, Chris" <chris@sigd.net>
To:        "Timothy Luoma" <tim@tntluoma.com>, "FreeBSD-Questions Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Scott Bennett" <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
Subject:   RE: make "make" quieter?

Someone broke the silence:=20

> On Jan 15, 2005, at 1:05 AM, Scott Bennett wrote:
>=20
>>      You've tried "-s"?  And that was still too chatty?
>=20
> -s looks promising (d'oh, checked make.conf settings but not man
> page... far too late, must sleep)
>=20
> Actually the redirect works well, esp. now that someone explained the
> redirect (new to 'sudo' too)=20

If you are on a dialup connection like I am.  I just use screen =
(ports/misc/screen).

Create a new screen instance then do make install clean then hold down =
ctrl and hit D.

I would be deattached and it'll be compiling in the background.  When I =
want to check the status of
it, I would resume the screen.  Fairly simple.

Chris