Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 07:28:51 +0100
From:      Thomas Seidmann <tseidmann@simultan.ch>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX Routing

Kris Kirby wrote:

> Thomas Seidmann wrote:
> > addresses. Next, take a look at IPXrouted(8). Beware: the FreeBSD
> > networking code supports only ETHERNET_II frames. I've hacked
>
> This is interesting. The Beame and Whiteside TCP/IP stack for DOS also
> only works with Ethernet_II frames. It sends the TCP/IP through an ODI.

TCP/IP over Ethernet packets are _always_ carried over ETHERNET_II
frames (aka blue book Ethernet). IPX packets, on the contrary, are
carried over Ethernet in up to three kinds of frames: ETHERNET_II, 802.3
an so called 802.2. This is some kind of confusion Novell created. Note
that the different frame types don't exhibit any contriburtion to
fuctionality nor performance. Blue book Ethernet frames would have
sufficed.

Regards, Thomas