Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 22:31:17 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        Dmitry Mottl <dima@sinp.msu.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question: hacking init_main.c

Jake Burkholder wrote:
> Wrong, no cookie.  kernel printf uses the low level console which is
> initialized by cninit, which is called from init386 (etc), before
> mi_startup.
>
> My best guess at what's happening is that the subsystem numbers are
> "sparse", and have high numerical values, so you can't really index
> an array with them.  ie you're trying to print sysinit_descr[0x1000000]
> etc.  The best way I've found to do what you want is to use
> linker_ddb_search_symbol and linker_ddb_symbol_values on the sysinit
> function pointer to find its name, and to print the numerical value
> of the order/subsystem.
>
> T TERRY PLZ TO BE RESEARCHING NEXT TIME LUV JAKE

Jake,

*I wrote* init_main.c and kernel.h and the original SYSINIT() code;
Julian just committed it.

Please see my Copyrights on the files.

You don't want to start using the kernel printf until the console
code is initialized.  Trace through the code, and you will see some
bogosities that result from n-nserial console, and interaction with
the dmesg buffer.

Thanks,
-- Terry