Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:04:05 +0200
From:      offbyone <offbyone@xs4all.nl>
To:        infernus - Bluelight <infernus@infernusweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie help!

infernus - Bluelight wrote:

> Sorry for bothering this mailing list, but I realy need some help..
> I find awsome screenshots from FreeBSD on various sites on the net, but
> on my comp,
> the only thing I see is a black screen with some white text on it, and:
> ________________
> $|

What you are looking at is called a "prompt". It indicates that your
system is ready for input from you, through an interactive program
called a "shell", also called a "command interpreter". The cursor is on
the "command line". The number and variety of commands that you might
want to type onto the command line is immense, but you have to know what
  each commands is that you might want you use, depending on what you
want your computer to do with it. Learning how to use the shell and
which of those commands are useful to you, is the essence of learning
how to use any unix/bsd computer system. It is an older and more
powerful way of feeding information to the system and getting
information back, than the GUI screen-shots you mentioned.
Other responses to your OT have encouraged you in the direction of
getting a the pretty face that you want on your computer. That's fine.
But I would encourage you too, try to learn at least some of what you
can do--some of the vast amount of work that FreeBSD can handle for
you--starting right where you are, at that $| prompt on the command
line. It is very exciting, once you do, and you don't have to install
anything more than you already have.