Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 16:34:41 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thoughts on the install and on Red Hat Linux.

> put in links for help files etc.  I really should put
> together a prototype.... anyway, if anyone is interested we
> can explore this idea further.

I'd like to see the prototype.. :-)

Believe me, this idea has crossed my mind more than once.  In another
mailing list, I was talking with some folks for awhile about the idea of
implementing "http server" capability for existing applications.

Instead of going for a full httpd and CGI interface, you implement a
library that allows pretty much any event driven application to "grow
an HTTP port".  You write your "forms" in a higher level pastiche of
HTML and some sort of imbeded tags that let you specify which callback
routines to call when a given HTML object is manipulated in some way.

The viewer would see HTML, your legacy app would see a different sort
of command interpreter.

Would you be interested in exploring an option like that, as well as
the option of using existing server technology and CGI?

					Jordan