Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 07:24:11 -0700
From:      lures@mozcom.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.0 & PCI PNP 56K INTERNAL MODEMS

I am using FreeBDS 4.0 GENERIC kernel with two Aopen 56k PCI
PnP modems that do not have jumpers
to set com or irq. Want to use one for dial out connection to
my ISP (com1 cuaa1) and the other
to accept dial in calls (com2 tty1). Want this FreeBDS server
to function like an ISP server
using modems instead of NIC over T1.

After the BIOS Post completes the PC Bios PCI Device Listing
for the two modems shows

Bus No   Device No   Func No   Vendor Id    Device ID    IRQ
   Device Class
  0         18          0        127A         1005        12
   Simple Comm. Controller
  0         19          0        127A         1005        5
   Simple Comm. Controller

During the startup of FreeBSD the Probe issues the following
Messages

pci0  <unknown card> (vendor=0x127a, dev=0x1005) at 18.0 irq
12
pci0  <unknown card> (vendor=0x127a, dev=0x1005) at 19.0 irq
5

I also get this same Info when I issue command pciconf -l

My questions are
	what is FreeBSD trying to tell me with these msgs?
	What is the PnP ID for each modem?
	What do I have to do to activate modems, assign them device
names, and setup modem to dial
 	my ISP at bootup using Kernel PPP and setup the second modem
to answer dial in calls using
 	Kernel PPP?

Blind alleys I have gone down.

I have read a lot of mailing-list messages dealing with PnP modems
being WINmodems and that they
just don't work with any release of FreeBSD. This sure was true
with 3.4 and older FreeBSD
versions but Version 4.0 says this has been fixed. Version 4.0
was just released in March 2000
and the documentation has not been updated to give info on how
to get it to work in FBSD4.

One of the mailing-list messages says to add the modem's PnP
ID to the serial driver table in
/sys/i386/isa/sio.c to activate the modem.  Well version 4.0
does not have a file sio.c in that
directory path.  This must be out of date info.

I also tried manual boot-time configuration using   pnp 18 0
enable bios   But pnp command is
nolonger valid at  boot -c   in FBSD 4.0.

Joe Barbish

-----