Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 14:26:06 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/netinet in.h ip_fw.h ip_input.c ip_output.c

><<On Fri, 23 Aug 1996 15:57:33 -0500, rkw@dataplex.net (Richard
>Wackerbarth) said:
>
>> I suspect that Terry's point was that the hook mechanism need not be ip
>> specific. Rather, any communications stack, for example appletalk, could
>> use the same mechanism. I would anticipate that the filters would prefer to
>> do their "type checking" at registration time and only register for those
>> protocols that they are prepared to handle.
>
>Sounds like you're trying to make the IP processing path slower.  This
>thread got started because there's already too much junk cluttering
>things up.

I disagree that it would make things slower. Any protocol stack can
reasonably have the same structure for the message buffers. They can also
have the same structure for "hooks". It does not slow things down at all in
processing a packet to have a generic "call hook" which calls an IP
specific hook that knows itself to be registered in a path which handles
only IP. The extra overhead in the registration mechanism is not
significant and, besides, happens only once.

On the other hand, there might be some value in being able to use a common
hook that, for example, is sniffing MAC addresses or counting bytes
transferred.