Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 22:55:08 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        vallo@matti.ee
Cc:        Eric Anholt <anholt@teleport.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: ppp troubles

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 08:58:48PM -0700, Eric Anholt <anholt@teleport.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been seeing these errors for about a month now.  When PPP is
> > first started, it outputs:
> > calwell:/usr/src/bzflag>ppp -ddial -nat papchap
> > Working in ddial mode
> > Using interface: tun0
> > Warning: Add route failed: 0.0.0.0: errno: Network is unreachable
> >
> > It still dials and connects, then gets an IP, but I never get the
> > default route.  I have to manually ifconfig to find the ip and route
> > add default it.
>
> > Can anyone help me?  This is really annying, especially since I have
> > a very nasty connection that keeps dropping and making me route
> > delete, ifconfig -a ( & repeat), route add again.
>
> I'm getting same behaviour, workaround is to put the HISADDR line to
> ppp.linkup file, so it tries to set up default route after link is up.
> I'm running -current as of few days ago.

The problem is that when ppp is *not* in -auto mode, it doesn't
bother configuring the interface until it's actually agreed an IP
number with the peer.  The ``add'' line is actioned immediately, and
fails.

So, your config is fine for -auto mode, but it's better to have the
``add'' in ppp.linkup for any other mode.  Things still work though
because you're using ``HISADDR'' as this makes it a sticky route, and
your eventual interface configuration causes a re-application of all
sticky routes.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>