Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:08:02 -0500
From:      Devin Smith <devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ntp and MAC

>Hi
>unfortunately I couldn't find a hint for the problems I have syncing my Mac
>OS 9 or OS X with the ntpd from FreebSD. I am using FreeBSD 4.4 as a
>firewall and wanted to support the network with a timeserver.
>nettime on W2K works well. But it seems that also XP has problems with the
>ntp and freebsd.
>Any idea?
>BTW: Here is my ntpd.conf (and I verified the ntpd is working)
>
>server localhost prefer
>broadcast 10.255.255.255
>enable monitor stats            # enable the good stuff
>driftfile /etc/ntp.drift        # path for drift file
>statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/     # directory for statistics files
>filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
>filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
>filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
>restrict 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 notrust nomodify notrap
>---
>WAP = Wait and Pay
>Kay Schulz
>kay@kay-schulz.com
>http://www.ooad.de

Can't tell you why it's not working, but I can say that I've been using
ntpd on FreBSD 4.2 just fine with OS 8.5, 9, and X. There shouldn't be
anything special with the mac as long as you put in the correct address
in the date and time control panel. If you're having problems, try using
the IP instead of the name for the ntp server. use the "Set Time Now"
button on the mac to test whether it's working.

--devin