Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 09:13:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Number of TUN devices

FYI:

I am playing with the idea of a direct-insert PPP for future SONET/ATM/DSL
PPP connections. here compression/ACCM are not a concern but higher data
rates make the kernel/user space copying (x2 once on each device inteface)
and the prcessing copying can be a concern for throughput. I am not bad
mouthing the tun driver; it is an excellent driver for serial devices that
needs to PROCESS the packets from/to the PPP link.

In the SONET/ATM/DSL world, the PDUs will already be in mbufs from the
device driver. The MRU/MTU can be much larger. The data packets do not
need to compressed/encrypted/ACCM-ed, so the for those opened NCPs, the
data packets can be placed directly into the appropriate kernel protocol
stacks. the diagnostic, and control packets can still be processed in
user space via a protocol socket.

Have you experimented what kind of through-put the NOS-TUN can handle?
I suspect that this model would be good enough for DSL speeds.

--mark tinguely.