Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:06:11 +0000
From:      Tarquin McDowell <tarquin@fishbowl.pentax.com>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stability & nvidia drivers?

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 09:47:39AM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:

> Anyone getting any better results? Is there something I can do to fix
> this? The drivers are of no use to me if they are this unreliable.
> More info available on request, of course.

I had a problem on my Gforcce 2MX400 where the first GL app I ran would be ok,
but running any GL apps after that would cause a core dump (and sometimes a
hard lock of the machine). A problem I noticed, though, was that
sysctl -a | grep nv was showing a selected AGP rate of x4. I was able to change
that value to x1 by making a change as documented on the Nvidia FreeBSD FAQ
page:

"Try lowering your AGP rate in the BIOS or nvidia_os_registry.c. If you want
to use nvidia_os_registry.c to do this, find the line that reads
{ "ReqAGPRate", "Force AGP Rate", 4, 0 }, and change the last 0 to 1. Now you
will be able to set the sysctl hw.nvidia.registry.ReqAGPRate to the value of
the desired AGP rate. You will of course need to rebuild/reinstall/reload the
kernel driver before attempting to set the sysctl."

This fixed all my problems -- the driver seems to be very stable now.

regards.