Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2006 13:31:33 -0300
From:      Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <rnsanchez@wait4.org>
To:        Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PRNG on FreeBSD

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 14:54:39 +0100
Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> Robert Watson writes:
> >
> > Yarrow is an older PRNG algorithm, and Fortuna is (as I understand
> > it) generally considered its successor.  Mark Murray (CC'd), who
> > implemented our current /dev/random and Yarrow code, has been working
> > on a Fortuna implementation for FreeBSD.

Nice!

> Indeed. Fortuna is also looking like it is going to be a significant
> resource hog WRT memory, particularly on small/embedded devices.

Apart from the higher memory usage which can hurt modest devices, what are
the CPU requirements?  Proportional (higher?) from SHA-1 to SHA-256?

When the patches are ready, I can test under RELENG_6 and also under a
low-end CURRENT box, if its hard-drive doesn't explode soon. :)

Thanks.

--
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez     <rnsanchez@{gmail.com,wait4.org}>