Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 19:13:08 +0100
From:      Lutz Albers <freebsd@tavari.de>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>, bwoods2@uswest.net, Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>, Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
Subject:   Re: kdelibs port broken?

If memory serves me right, Daniel O'Connor said on 2000-02-27 23:43 +1030:

> On 27-Feb-00 Chuck Robey wrote:
>> fine example, tho.  We break the location of the config files that all
>> tcl
>> packages rely upon to build, for the purpose of allowing folks to run
>> multiple versions simultaneously.  Tcl isn't the only one like that,
>> either.  Anyone who wants to be able to build other tcl software that
>> isn't derived from a port would be well advised to avoid using our port.
>
> This is done because none of those programs/libs developed a system on
> their own which allowed multiple versions to be on the same machine OR
> made SURE that they where backward compatible..

It's possible to run multiple versions of these kind of software on your
machine. There are tools out there (i.e. modules www.modules.org) which
allow this kind of operating.

> Its not the ports collection thats at fault, the people who did it this
> way are cleaning up the mess made by other coders.

As nice as the ports collections usually is, it's simply not adequate to
handle multiple versions of the same software on the same machine.

lutz albers