Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:30:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/37109: Kernel refuses to assign unused IP to tun via ppp after some time

The following reply was made to PR kern/37109; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: Brian Curnow <bc@sonnet.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:29:09 +0300

 On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:12:12PM -0700, Brian Curnow wrote:

 > >Number:         37109
 > >Category:       kern
 > >Synopsis:       Kernel refuses to assign unused IP to tun via ppp after some time
 > >Originator:     Brian Curnow
 > Using pptpd, ppp.  Appears to be a kernel bug which believes that
 > certain IPs, after having previously been used on interface, are still
 > in use and refuses to allow ppp to assign them.  Given enough time,
 > this will cause even large ranges of IP to be unusable until reboot.
 >
 > I believe this is a kernel bug because my look at the ppp code seemed
 > to be that ppp does not keep any state on IP or interface use, and
 > tries range until the kernel accepts one that is offered.
 >
 > System is SMP.
 >
 > ppp.log errors:
 > Error: iface_inAdd: ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): 10.0.0.3: File exists
 > Error: ipcp_InterfaceUp: unable to set ip address
 > Warning: iface_addr_Zap: ioctl(SIOCDIFADDR, 10.0.0.3): Can't assign requested address
 >
 > IN this case, 10.0.0.3 is the local IP side, and the actual IP that can't be
 > assigned is the peer IP of 10.0.0.61.  In this case, changing the peer IP
 > in /etc/ppp/ppp.secret allowed the connection to proceed.  Over time,
 > all IPs will become unusable.
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > running ppp via tun interface to pptpd seems to cause problem over time.
 >  Perhaps a race condition?
 > >Fix:
 > Unknown.  Cure by reboot.

 FWIW, I had this happen recently on a server which has five incoming
 PPP-over-TCP connections up most of the time.  After some flakiness on
 the part of the network connection, one of those interfaces started
 whining in the exact same way.

 A buildworld/buildkernel/installkernel/installworld/reboot cured it;
 it has not happened in the last six days.  I am not sure that it is
 gone for good; if it should happen again, I will be happy to provide
 any diagnostics that people request beforehand; unfortunately, it is
 very likely that the box will have to be rebooted to cure the problem
 again very soon after this happens, or some customers will be slightly
 irritated :)

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
 .siht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI