Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:42:18 +1100
From:      "Howard Picken" <howard@tasfamily.net.au>
Subject:   RE: An idiot, his box, and a security question

I use a program called "putty" to connect remotely from windoze
to my bsd boxes.

There are several flavours of putty but the main one does
secure connections and telnet sessions and handles the different
ports used by secure connection.

You can then login with your normal use name/password then
"su" to super user.

I guess if your not using windoze at the remote site then
all this is a waste of information :-)

So if it's valid then good luck

Howard

Huhu!

[snip]
[snop]

> THREE DON'T-KNOW-NUTHIN'-ABOUT-SSH QUESTIONS:
>
> * When attempting to login at "root" and just hitting ENTER at the
> password prompt, I can't get in. Am I missing something about his "no
> password required for root" comment?

On the consle you don't need a password, just leave it blanke.
To get remote access, you need a ident-Key and a public key, as
described in "man ssh"

> * Because I can't log in as root, any root-like changes I want to make
> would have to be made via sudo. What commands would I issue from the
> command line to change my root password back to what it was before?

At the prompt type:

sudo -s

Than YOUR password and voila, you'r root

> * When I attempt to telnet into the machine (from within or outside of
> my own LAN), I'm immediately prompted with "User Access Verification"
> and a Password prompt. No known passwords for the machine work. I
> thought this was particularly odd, since the box wasn't asking for a
> login, only a password.

Why telnet?
Use ssh.

> I like the idea of being very secure, yet I admit the man SSH pages left
> me confused. At this point, I'd be happy if I could:
>
> * Telnet into my machine and execute commands as root via sudo

Telnet is like sending your PIN's for Banccard or CellPhone via
Postcards. SSH is like using envelopes
;)

> * Actually login as root while sitting at the machine so I could make
> broad changes, install/delete ports, etc.

Login as User -> sudo -s
:))

--
Georg Auernhammer
Benutzerberater RUS, Admin Institut für Geophysik