Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2018 15:30:19 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Per Gunnarsson <p.gunnarsson@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Per Gunnarsson via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem with DVD

On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 11:16:57 +0200, Per Gunnarsson via freebsd-questions wr=
ote:
> I have problems contacting my DVD reader.
>=20
>=20
> [per@konjak ~/Music/Big Fish]$ sudo cdrecord -scanbus
> Password:
> Sorry, try again.
> Password:
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01 (amd64-unknown-freebsd12.0) Copyright
> (C) 1995-2015 Joerg Schilling
> cdrecord: No error: 0. Kernel error! got periph match type
> -1515870811!!. Cannot open or use SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=3Dhelp'.
>=20
> crw-------=A0 1 root=A0 operator=A0 0x56 Aug 25 10:02 /dev/pass0
> crw-r-----=A0 1 root=A0 operator=A0 0x3e Aug 25 10:02 /dev/xpt0
> crw-rw----=A0 1 root=A0 operator=A0 0x75 Aug 25 10:02 /dev/cd0
>=20
> (I am member of the group operator)

You should add the correct settings to /etc/devfs.conf:

	own	cd0	root:operator
	perm	cd0	0664
	own	xpt0	root:operator
	perm	xpt0	0660
	own	pass0	root:operator
	perm	pass0	0660

You're already in the "operator" group, so rw access is
possible. You can see from your ls -l example that you're
currently missing the required permissions to access the
xpt and the pass device.

Check the "camcontrol devlist" to see which pass device
belongs to your optical media drive. You'll also see the
bus:target:lun number (e. g., 0:0:0) which programs like
cdrecord like to use (in the form 0,0,0). For example,
you could use this command to burn an audio CD from
premastered CDR files:

	% cdrecord dev=3D0,0,0 speed=3D8 driveropts=3Dburnfree -eject -v -dao -aud=
io *.cdr

Or a data CD fron the content of the directory <sourcedir>
directly without and intermediate ISO image:

	% mkisofs -r -J <sourcedir>/ | cdrecord dev=3D0,0,0 speed=3D8 -v -eject -t=
ao -data -

It's just a matter of setting up the permissions correctly.
In this case, you won't need any "sudo" prefixing. :-)

For more information, chech The FreeBSD Handbook:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/creating-cds.html

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/creating-dvds.html

--=20
Polytropon