Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:30:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: aio_read crashing certain kernels.

:Since nobody here seems to be able to figure it out... I wrote a program to
:play around with aio_read(), and it ran stellarly well on my
:FreeBSD3.4-release system using EIDE hard drives.  But, when I tried to run
:it on a system using our production kernel with Adaptec SCSI controllers,
:it locked the kernel up HARD.  No console messages, no Ctrl-Alt-Del, had to
:push the hard reset switch.
:
:The kernel in question is a FreeBSD3.4-release kernel compiled with a
:different set of options (lots of mbufs, etc, etc).  I can't find anything
:in it that seems at all related to async I/O.  The appropriate sysctl
:values all seem the same between the systems.  And the fact that it locks
:the system up instead of saying ENOTSUPP or "async I/O not compiled in"
:concerns me greatly.
:
:Any ideas on why this might be happening?
:
:Thanks much,
:scott

    If you can reproduce the bug easily, can you post the program that
    causes it plus instructions on how to reproduce the bug?  If one of us
    can reproduce it we may be able to squeeze more info out of the crash.

					-Matt