Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:24:28 -0400
From:      Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [resolved, naively] Re: geom vs ich through ar device - benchmarks?

Scott Long wrote:
> Howard Goldstein wrote:
>> Testbed: Pair of WDC3200AAKS 320gb SATA, freshly newfsd 10gb filesystem
>> mounted with softupdates, remounted after each test
>> P4 @ 3ghz on a P4P800 in 6.2-STABLE, single user mode, ICH5R controller
>> detects these SATA-II drives inexplicably as SATA-I
>>

> ICH5 only support SATA-1.
Dang. Does anyone yield SATA-II speeds with the a PCI controller?  I'm
not sure if 25-30MB/s is even possible with regular PCI

>> Of course after this I used gmirror...
>
> Just so we're clear, the ICH5 doesn't have any firmware and doesn't
>
> actually do any RAID operations. What is has is hook into the system
> BIOS during boot. That hook allows the BIOS to do RAID-like operations
> during boot, until the OS takes over control of the devices. After
> that, it's up to the OS to do all the RAID work. The 'ar' driver is
> still software RAID, just like gmirror. What you've effectively done
> merely compare the performance of one software RAID stack to another.
> That's certainly an interesting comparison, but maybe not exactly what
> you had in mind.

It's helpful - thank you.  Do you think I'm correct in assuming the
interface is pretty much saturated at this point and if I wanted
additional speed I'd need to start thinking bringing in additional or
faster interfaces?

(ps - apologies in advance if this comes through in html format)