Date:      Sat, 09 Mar 2002 23:35:42 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing the size of dev_t and ino_t

In message <p05101532b8b03545561a@[128.113.24.47]>, Garance A Drosihn writes:

>Should we increase the size of dev_t and ino_t?  Right now, both
>of them are unsigned 32-bit values.  I shall claim that both of
>those are too small, or at least they WILL be too small by the
>time 6.0 rolls out.

By dev_t I guess you mean the userland version of it (udev_t): the
combined major and minor number.

With DEVFS and properly written drivers, this field can be
randomly assigned and will have no practical importance to the
kernel.  This is the direction we should move.

The only argument I know for expanding it would be to make the
slight hack used to hide the dictomy between the dev_t (a pointer)
and the userland (u)dev_t (an integer) simpler on 64bit archs.

The real solution would be to fix the software which makes bogus
assumptions when reading kernel memory.

>At the summit, it was stated that UFS2 should (hopefully) be
>available for 5.0-release, and that it will be a 64-bit filesystem.

UFS2 will have 64 bit inode numbers and will consequently very much
like to have ino_t be 64bit.

Traditionally (ie: "lex off_t") this means defining the relevant
number of new syscalls (stat & fstat I think) so that we can still
execute older programs.

	dev_t should be uintptr_t or dev_t be renamed in the kernel.

	When is not really important since it will not be a backwards
	flag day, only a forwards flag day.