Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:24:37 +0200
From:      Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: to come from Linux to FreeBSD

Op 24-8-2011 10:41, Matthew Seaman schreef:

> Virtualization is actually a bit of a tricky thing with FreeBSD.
> There's Jail, which is excellent -- very light weight, but it only
> works with FreeBSD guests. There's VirtualBox, but that runs the guest
> OSes as a standard client application and it tends to be slow

VirtualBox is absolutely not slow. At least not on Solaris nor on
windows7 boxes. The VB support from FreeBSD is not that good imho. It is
a lot easier to get it going under linux, windows or solaris. I know,
fbsd packages do not exist. I wonder why...

> Running FreeBSD as a guest under most virtualization software works well

This is very true, I agree. I've set up a ZFS root system with four
disks lately to try out before doing so on rela hardware and it worked
very very well.

Dick