Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:15:50 -0400
From:      Akin Johnston <abajay@twcny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbie Boot problems

Display all headers
From:
Akin Johnston <abajay@twcny.rr.com>

Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:11:08 -0400

Subject:
Newbie boot problems

Can anybody please help?

I.ve been trying to install FreeBSD 4.5 with no success. I tried downloading and via FTP. Both times  the
install went OK, but I stilll could't boot after the install. I keep getting the error:
>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
Not ufs
No /kernel

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
Not ufs
No /boot/loader

I have a gateway 2000 Pentium 75 with an old BIOS
1 1440 Floppy drive
1 ATAPI CD drive
ethernet NE2000 compatible network card (irq10.1/0 320)
1 parrarel port
2  serial ports (1 disabled both in BIOS and sysinstall to prevent conflists with ethernet card)
an IDE IBM 16G hard drive as master
an IDE Conner 120M hard drive as slave
40M RAM
Ontrack Disk Manager 9.55 installed. (I ned the Disk Manager for Windows to see all of ther drive)
Windows 95 installed.

After trying many partioning schemes with no success, then losing all data after a partioning snafu, I
have ended up with the following scheme:

Hard drive 1:
7M partion for DOS (c: in DOS)
400M partition for FreeBSD (ad0s2 in FreeBSD)
	150M root parttion /  (ad0s2a in FreeBSD)
	65M swap partition <swap>
	90M var partition /var ad0s (ad0s2b)
	100M temp parttion /tmp (ad0s2e)
2047M parttion for FreeBSD
	usr parttion /usr
10000M Extended partion
	2047 Windows (d: in DOS)
	2047 More data (e:in DOS)
	2047 unused
	2047 unused  saved for Linux
	2047 unused: saved for OS/2
The rest is thus far unallocated

Hard Drive 2:
120M thus far unallocated

The install goes OK fine.
I have been able to see the contents by using the install diskettes: kern.flp and mfsroot.flp and the
fixit.flp
loader is definitely in /boot/loader.

BIOS settings:
2055cylinders/255heads/63sectors
this is the same as what FreeBSD reports and disk manager reports.

FreeBSD install settings:
ATAPI  hard drive controllers enabled
parralel port enabled
1 serial port enabled
NE 2000 card enabled
Boot manager installed

Is there anything else I should be doing?  I have tried in vain to search for an answer to this dilemna

but to no avail. Windows runs fine, so does(did) slackware linux. Should I be using a different boot
manager?(I am considering BootIT NG). I really don't want to reinstall all other OSes until I am sure
FreeBSD won't force me to screw up the pattion table again.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Abajay