Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 19:35:21 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fd0c mount(8) Race

 Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 00:16:53, cristjc (Crist J. Clark) wrote about "fd0c mount(8) Race":

>   mount: /dev/fd0c: No such file or directory

> That is, even though once I drop into single-user mode we see the
> symlink for /dev/fd0c, it does not seem like it was there when 'mount
> -a -t nonfs' is run in /etc/rc.

I don't see it too.
It appears if is created explicitly.
Log follows (showing quite strange behavior):

root@iv:~##ls -l /dev/fd0*
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    9,   0 Jul  1 15:01 /dev/fd0
root@iv:~##ls -l /dev/fd0c
ls: /dev/fd0c: No such file or directory
root@iv:~##mknod /dev/fd0c c 0 0
mknod: /dev/fd0c: File exists
root@iv:~##ls -l /dev/fd0c
lrw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  4 Jul  1 19:31 /dev/fd0c -> fd0
root@iv:~##rm /dev/fd0c
root@iv:~##rm /dev/fd0c
rm: /dev/fd0c: No such file or directory
root@iv:~##ls -l /dev/fd0c
ls: /dev/fd0c: No such file or directory
root@iv:~##ls -l /dev/fd0c
ls: /dev/fd0c: No such file or directory
root@iv:~##mknod /dev/fd0c c 0 0
root@iv:~##ls -l /dev/fd0c
lrw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  4 Jul  1 19:31 /dev/fd0c -> fd0

I'm surprised mainly that first mknod reported bogus failure.

> reproduce the problem? Or is it well known (I can't find it in the
> mail archive)?

I think you can't - current devfs is too young.

/netch