Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:08:13 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        nrml@att.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Preferred RAID controllers

--------------enig40BF98BF2875620A45ACCFAE

Gabe wrote:
=20
> Now with a gstripe+gmirror setup, would it be possible to fail a
> specific drive on purpose? I mean fail a (good) drive, pull it out,
> replace it and rebuild(?) it. I know I know, but humor me.

Yes.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

Well, to 'fail' the drive, you'ld have to physically pull the drive
from the chassis which will involve a power cycle unless you've got
hot-swap drives.  Of course, you should confirm that your system will
boot with the RAID in a degraded state and that rebuilding the RAID will
continue even if interrupted by a reboot.  gmirror(8) passes those
tests.  You do have to type some commands to get a mirror to rebuild
(examples are shown in the man page) unlike some hardware RAIDs where
simply inserting an unused disk is sufficient.

--=20
                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW