Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:40:54 -0800
From:      Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum questions

I'm building a new web server. I've decided to use Vinum instead of
hardware-based RAID. I have 1 9G boot drive (/ and /usr), and 4 9G
drives to build the vinum RAID (/usr/home). They are all IBM
Ultrastar 18es U2W's sitting on an Adaptec 2940 U2W.

My 2 choices:

  1) Stripe and mirror. Gives 18G of storage, and best performance
that still has protection against drive failure. Not the most
efficient use of my drives, however.

  2) RAID-5 all 4 of the drives in one volume. 27G of storage. Decent
performance. But... stability of RAID-5 in vinum?

The only thing stopping me from using RAID-5 is that I've seen a few
messages pass through here claiming vinum RAID-5 wasn't quite ready
for primetime. What's the current picture like? Is it ready to go? Or
should I just go with the RAID 0+1 and live with the (relatively)
inefficient use of drives?

Thanks,
jon