Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:45:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        kris@airnet.net (Kris Kirby), scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reformatting a 520-byte-per-sector drive

Greg Lehey wrote...
> On Tuesday,  7 September 1999 at 23:34:08 -0600, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > Kris Kirby wrote...
> >> I know that Seagate has a few drives that can change bytes/sector. I'm
> >> currently perusing a manual from Seagate about SCSI-II/III but if
> >> someone else comes up with an answer sooner...
> >
> > Well, I think with most IBM disks you can change the blocksize from mode
> > page 3, but apparantly with this one you have to do it from the block
> > descriptor.  It sounds similar to the Seagate disk that Greg used the above
> > command on.
> >
> > Since you've got to format your disk anyway, you might want to try out my
> > format patches to camcontrol.  They've been sitting around for months in my
> > tree, and as far as I know, no one (except me) has tried them.  Here they
> > are:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/~ken/camcontrol.format.061799
>
> I tried them.  They seemed to work OK, but I had some library
> dependency problems.

Yeah, you have to rebuild libcam and then rebuild camcontrol.  I forgot to
tell Kris about that.

> > I think the patches should apply okay to -current or -stable, but if they
> > don't it shouldn't be too hard to get them to apply.
> >
> > One warning, though -- in your situation, you'll probably want to use the
> > -q option to camcontrol format.  The reason is, without "quiet" turned on,
> > camcontrol will do an inquiry on your disk, which may nullify any block
> > setting you just made, if your disk behaves anything like Greg's Seagate.
>
> Are you planning to commit these patches?  I'd think it's worth it.

Well, I'll probably have to to get any more feedback.  I want to go through
the patches one more time and clean things up before I do that, though.

Maybe if I let them sit in -current for a couple of months, I'll get some
feedback.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry