Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 20:21:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more general checksum command, replacing md5?

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Mikael Karpberg wrote:

> According to Brandon Gillespie:
> > On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Mikael Karpberg wrote:
> >
> > > According to Brandon Gillespie:
> > >
> > > Er... Why not, in that case, just add those options to the chsum program?
> >
> > Because the checksum program is 'md5'
>
> I meant the 'cksum' program, ofcourse. And as you say, the one used is the
> md5 program. That should have been an option in 'cksum' too, instead, I
> think. Ofcourse, it could detect name started with to auto-select algorithm.
> That way md5 could be made a hardlink to cksum.

Ahh, I couldn't find cksum last time I checked...

Hmm, and its POSIX...

To fit within posix-ness, what about making the checksum CRC be similar to
the passwd format.. namely, $TOKEN$HASH, where TOKEN is MD5, SHS or
whatever...  So:

> md5 foof
MD5 (foof) = edcee025269de378b1ce4714dcb97326
> cksum -md5 foof
$MD5$edcee025269de378b1ce4714dcb97326 41658 foof

How does POSIX look at expanding the functionality of a POSIX command?
I.e. if it supports all POSIX functionality, but adds more?

-Brandon Gillespie